Read the closing remarks from our moderator on the 2016 edition of the Life Sciences Pricing forum, that took place in Montreux on September 20-21, 2016.
‘It was a privilege and a pleasure for me to moderate this year’s EPP Life Science forum, and my sincere thanks to EPP and their partners, to our first class presenters and to all our engaged and enthusiastic participants for making this 6th forum such a great success. This year’s theme ‘Pricing under Pressure’ obviously resonated very strongly with all who attended, and stimulated lots of high quality discussion, debate and ideas sharing among the participants from both pharma and MedTech.
The quality of the plenary presentations, the panel discussions and the breakout sessions this year was consistently excellent, with industry leaders from across the globe tackling some of the most fundamental pricing issues facing life sciences today. These ranged from the growing sophistication and demands of payer systems, through the challenges of pricing innovative technologies and the most effective ways to manage tendering innovative contracting and using data analytics, right through to optimizing pricing around loss of exclusivity and the usefulness of brain scanning technology in determining perceived value and willingness to pay.
Having been challenged to make the most of this learning opportunity that had been developed by pricing specialists for pricing specialists, it was so rewarding to see how actively everyone got engaged throughout the event, with lots of great probing questions and challengers for the presenters, many thought-provoking omments and points of discussion in the panel discussions and breakout groups, and loads of sharing of information, ideas and experiences during the coffee and lunch breaks and during the very enjoyable evening cruise on lake Geneva.
It was also great to see how the forum provided a golden opportunity for old colleagues and professional acquaintances to catch up, and for all the participants to make new contacts and grow their networks.
We began the forum by everyone making a note of what he or she wanted to take away from the event. As we reviewed these towards the end of the two days, it became clear that the vast majority of the participants’ learning needs and expectations for the event had been met and, in many cases, surpassed.
Some of those key learning points included:
- The growing need for life sciences companies to be able to demonstrate and communicate the relevant value of their products as solutions to meeting payers’ needs, in order to negotiate optimal prices.
- The limitations of the revenue potential of ‘emerging markets’ and the difficulties of optimizing pricing with systems that are sometimes not transparent or consistent
- The appropriateness and potential usefulness of ‘innovative’ pricing strategies as alternatives to traditional approaches, and how best to price different types of innovation in Pharma and MedTech
- The importance of well designed price guidelines and indices in effective payer negotiations.
- The usefulness and the limitations of different types of analytics in effective pricing
- The evolving role of the strategic pricing function and how to meet both global and local needs with an effective tendering management system.
- The commercial importance of effectively managing pricing around loss of exclusivity
- The development and potential of neurophysiology and brain scanning techniques in determining optimal prices and willingness-to-pay.
At the end of the forum, and in subsequent emails and feedback, the majority of participants declared that the forum had met their needs and been a great success, with many adding that they were looking forward to coming again next year. I share their views, and can’t wait to join them!‘
Check for yourself! And join us next year for the 7th EPP Life Sciences Pricing Forum, scheduled on October 3-4, 2017. Hope to see you again in Montreux.
8 reasons why you should attend the coming EPP Life Sciences Pricing Forum in 2017
- Forum agenda topics fine-tuned with key industry influencers. Meet the Life Sciences steering committee.
- Get an exclusive first look at new research and survey data
- Interactive workshops with pharma/generics and medtech/biotechnology tracks
- Discuss, learn and challenge both strategic and tactical topics
- Learn from reflection on your own business reality and discover creative solutions to your challenges
- Face-to-face conversations with top industry experts and your pricing peers during the innovative and interactive forum formats
- Learn how to eliminate risk and enhance revenue growth
- Be a part of business critical conversations, taking your industry forward.
Who should be attending?
Every year again 100+ attendees gather to discuss and reflect on the latest pricing and market access trends, learn about best business practices and meet world’s best experts in pricing and profit optimisation. The EPP Life Science s Pricing Forum brings together leading practitioners and experts to discuss, reflect, network and share. The forum is tailored for value, know-how and a unique opportunity for key stakeholdes such as CFO/commercial controller/Pricing and market access leads and VPs /Commercial /Sales Ops /Marketing/CIOs/commercial IT
More info contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call +32(0)422.214.171.124.
Some readings on past editions of the EPP Life Sciences Pricing forum and other publications of the European Pricing Platform
|the outcome of the EPP Life Sciences Executive Briefing 2016|
|the Pricing Maturity Report 2016|
|Crossing the Pricing Chasm|
This is an event you must attend!
1 BUILD RELATIONSHIPS
With more than 1000 minutes of network opportunity, you have plenty of time to connect with pricing colleagues from all over Europe.
We stimulate an atmosphere of discussion and interaction, the best way to learn.
3 LEARN FROM THE BEST
A carefully selected speaking team of top pricing professionals, all active within your industry. No general talk, but only to-the point and useful presentations.
4 REFLECT & PRACTICE
Reflect on your key priorities and how to make it really happen ! Translate your key learnings into real change.
This is the speaker line-up of the 2016 edition of the EPP Life Sciences Pricing forum. If you would be interested to share your expertise or discuss with focus groups about your industry challenges for next year's edition,, please send your contact details and session suggestions to email@example.com.
“A conference really dedicated to Pricing”
Clotilde Noble, at Ferring Pharmaceuticals
Excellent conference with very interesting topics and excellent speakers. I attempted this conference two times and I would like to participate to the next one.
‘I enjoyed the opportunity to meet, listen to and network with pricing professionals.’
Raj Kanapathy, at Siemens Healthcare
I enjoyed the opportunity to meet, listen to and network with pricing professionals in the Life Science industry and would definitely recommend the experience to other pricing professionals.
“It’s much more lively and interactive!”
Madalina Preda, European Pricing Supervisor at Corning BV
It is much more lively and focussed on burning issues in the Life Science markets.
Meet pricing decision makers from:
European Pricing Platform® (EPP) and Founding Partner Alliance Life Sciences Announce the Upcoming 6th EPP Life Sciences Pricing Forum
“Developed by pricing people for pricing people, this one-of-a-kind event addresses today’s pricing challenges, and is designed to help pharmaceutical and medical device manufacturers adapt their strategies and business models to meet commercial and strategic objectives,” says Alan Crowther, CEO, Alliance Life Sciences
There is no substitute for experience! And Michael Herepath is indeed a very experienced market access specialist with a career spanning market access and pricing strategy consultancy, global and UK affiliate-level pharma market access leadership roles and as a senior payer in hospital pharmacy and healthcare executive roles.